Sunday, June 29, 2014

Here's What's At the Top of My Reading List

And this is important because I'll be out of town and unplugged July 5th-12th so I have to have the right books with me to read while waiting in airports, on the plane, and those occasional moments of downtime between Mom's errands and appointments.

Top of the list for real print books I'll take with me:


1. The Enlisted Men's Club by Gary Reilly, published posthumously by his friends

(Mark Stevens is the one I know--he's the past president of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers and currently volunteers on the board as Program Chair and is a monthly contributor to the RMFW Blog. I'm already familiar with Reilly's wonderful Asphalt Warrior series about a Denver taxi driver named Murph -- just finished reading Doctor Lovebeads --but The Enlisted Men's Club is the first of a the Gary Reilly trilogy about the war in Vietnam and I've heard it's way different from the Asphalt Warrior series. The Gary Reilly team is currently trying to raise the funds on Kickstarter to publish the rest of Gary's outstanding novels. Go here to learn more and contribute.)



2. We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of the American Women Trapped on Bataan by Elizabeth Norman

I became interested in this topic because one of my mom's Registered Nurse friends was with the women who were taken captive by the Japanese when they invaded the Philippines in World War II. When Mom heard about a new book on the subject, a YA non-fiction by Mary Cronk Farrell called Pure Grit: How American World War II Nurses Survived Battle and Prison Camp in the Pacific, she asked me to order a copy for her. I sent Pure Grit in hardcover on to Mom and kept the Bataan story to read first.  Of course, I'll be reading Pure Grit too.



3.  Coffee Cup Tales: Stories Inspired by Overheard Conversations at the Coffee Shop by Richard Keller

Knowing how loud a conversation can get at a coffee shop and how we tend to convince ourselves we're in a bubble and no one else can hear, I'm expecting lots of fun with this selection of stories from Rich.

Most who regularly visit this blog know I have Rich over to guest star at least twice a year and sometimes more (because he has me wrapped around his little finger). I can't help it. He makes me laugh.



And the books on my Kindle will serve as back up although I'm not sure where to start. I have an assortment of genres and will simply go with my mood and the luck of the draw.....from over 175 choices.

Now it's your turn. What's at the top of your summer reading list?

10 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I like the idea behind that last book. It sounds like it would have been fun to write. Just sit in a coffee shop and wait for inspiration to strike!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, it has been my own manuscript for the past few weeks. But now it's off to my test readers!

John Paul McKinney said...

Looks like a fine selection, Pat. Enjoy your time away. Safe travels.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Right now I'm reading THAT NIGHT by Chevy Stevens - excellent!

Safe travels!

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Jemi Fraser said...

My Kindle is ridiculously full too! So many choices! Sounds like you've got lots of good reading ahead - safe travels!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have such a huge stack of books I have no idea where to start. It's fun though. Enjoy your vacation.

Anonymous said...

You have some interesting choices here, Pat! I hope you enjoy your 'unplugged' time!

Eileen Goudge said...

My Kindle TBR is so huge, I hope I live long enough to read everything on it. Just finished Michael Koryta's un-put-downable THOSE WHO WISH Me DEAD.

RichardK said...

Pat, thanks for the shout out.

Alex, it's more like inspiration to talk loudly over a burritos and beer about a failed young adult romance. Seems that the age of texting has caused an issue with volume control when people actually speak to each other.

Everyone else, the royalty amounts are clear for July. Time to pick up your copy of Coffee Cup Tales or Paradise Not Quite Lost.

Dean K Miller said...

I've already savored and enjoyed Coffee Cup Tales so....maybe one of your two choices would work. The last two books I've read (as is the current one) are nonfiction, so the trend might just continue.