Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z Challenge: K is for Killer (and Julie Kazimer and a whole list of "K" novels)

K threw me for a loop when I tried to pick a book written by a Coloradoan or with a Colorado setting or even a remote relationship to this part of the country.

But the author was no trouble at all.

Featured Author:  Julie Kazimer (aka J. A. Kazimer)


In spite of Julie's busy schedule with work, school, co-editing the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers blog, and goodness knows what else, she also writes fiction.

We learned she had a great sense of humor from her first two messed-up fairy tale books. Her latest, however, is a romantic thriller that is receiving all kinds of great reviews. The Assassin's Heart is an excellent read which I'll be reviewing in the near future (but probably after this insane A to Z challenge is over).

To get a taste of Julie's sense of humor, check out the posts on her blog.


Featured Book(s): I couldn't settle on one favorite, so I'll just suggest you read these if you haven't done so already.

The Kite Runner
Kidnapped
The Killing Fields
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
King Solomon's Mines

Can you think of more?


Word of the Day:  Killer

Killer can mean delicious, as in "this is a killer chocolate cake."

For those of us who write mystery/suspense, however, killer is mostly used to refer to the perpetrator of a homicide. (Writing that sentence made me laugh.)

To tell the truth, at the moment I'd like to deal with that killer chocolate cake instead.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat - I love The Kalahari Typing School for Men - what a great book! And about killers? Yes, mystery and suspense authors spend probably an unhealthy amount of time thinking about killers. No wonder chocolate cake is so popular among us... ;-)

Unknown said...

I had to stop by today and give a "Woot woot" for Julie! Nice to see her lovely face featured here.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Messed up fairy tales? Now I'm intrigued.

Nana Prah said...

I read one of her books and loved it. No matter how busy I am, whenever she puts up a blog I read it. I helps that their short and hilarious. Nice K post.

Nana Prah

Patricia Stoltey said...

Margot -- Chocolate anything, for that matter. :D

Hi Julie L! Yes, there's no way I'd skip Julie K on Day K of the challenge.

Alex, you won't be disappointed.

Hi Nana. Doesn't she have a wonderful sense of humor?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have two of my K books on my shelf and have yet to read them. Killer vanilla cake for me.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Susan, right now I'd take killer any flavor cake....for brunch.

Anonymous said...

This A to Z is a thinking marathon! I enjoyed your post, Patricia. Thanks so much.

Waving from A to Z,

Laura
For the Love of Storytelling

Yolanda Renée said...

Killer Chocolate Cake it is - you know wouldn't that make for a great mystery premise - serve the killer chocolate cake and someone dies! LOL

Grammy Staffy said...

May I have some of that killer chocolate cake too?
Have a great day.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Welcome, Laura. I'll be over to return the visit later today.

Yolanda---hmmm, now that you mention it, yes. And that reminds me of the evening I ordered a dessert called "Death by Chocolate" at a well-known restaurant chain....

Grammy Staffy -- You bet. I'll put the teakettle on.

Dean K Miller said...

Julie is one of my favorite local authors and a great friend who I have to meet in person! The Assassin's Heart was the first read on our trip last month. A great way to start of a vacation!

Let me know when the killer chocolate cake arrives...I'll be right over!

Unknown said...

The Assassin's Heart. I'm intrigued...

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Patricia, of the K books I have read just two: The Kite Runner and King Solomon's mines. I must read the other books.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Loved THE KITE RUNNER! It was hand sold to me by my local independent bookstore waaaaaay back before it was popular. :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

Crystal Collier said...

This is why I have goodreads, to keep track of my reading. I need to read The Kite Runner. Read The Maze Runner the other day thinking I was getting The Kite Runner. I tell you what, that's a mix up of epic proportions.

Catch My Words said...

I loved The Kite Runner.

Trisha said...

I haven't read any of your recommended books, but at least one is on my TBR. I will have to check out the rest. :)

I'm adding Julie's book to my TBR as well.

Cheryl said...

So many of these books sounded wonderful when I looked them up. Thanks for sharing and for visiting The Busy Mom's Daily.